30 million flu jabs??

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
I'm hella-confused.

Edit: and I've just had a quick read back of the thread and noticed that all the points I've made have previously been made, mainly by @vickster .

They said they'd order 30m doses and vaccinate the over 50s and that appears to be exactly what they're trying to do. It should be abundantly clear that I'm no fan of this government and like I said there's a lot of propaganda going on but in this specific case they do appear to be attempting to do what they said they would do, which happens to be a good thing, so good on them.

Last edited:

tom73

Veteran
How ever many they manage to get sent out it's a hell of work to get into arms. This year even more so flu clinics can't go full out due to covid measures. Never mind adding extra numbers onto the list if you're really desperate for one find a way to get sent down.
You'd qualify for one want ever your age.

I'm hella-confused.

Edit: and I've just had a quick read back of the thread and noticed that all the points I've made have previously been made, mainly by @vickster .

They said they'd order 30m doses and vaccinate the over 50s and that appears to be exactly what they're trying to do. It should be abundantly clear that I'm no fan of this government and like I said there's a lot of propaganda going on but in this specific case they do appear to be attempting to do what they said they would do, which happens to be a good thing, so good on them.
Yes but will they actually get round to doing it?

OP
Blue Hills
Yes but will they actually get round to doing it?
quite.
That question remains - from the beginning of the thread.
Boris is a great one for announcing "initiatives".
At least with this one I will be able to see if there was any substance to the statement as I am in the target for this one and after checking once will probably check again.
In any case my GP practice has my mobile number and have promised to text me if the initiative comes to me.
So looking on the bright side I have an auto Boris watch. :smile:

OP
Blue Hills
Well I never.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55003389

from dec 1 it seems.

though god knows why this schedule wasn't announced before.

Going to be extremely tight I would have thought, particularly with the christmas break imminent and many folks hoping to get away.

I can see a lot theoretically available not being taken up because of simple logistics.

Which would give Boris's team a handy out.

Still one to be watched I think, especially in view of:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55008133

Curiously both of these stories seem to have been posted two hours ago (am an early riser).

An attempt to head off bad news?

Or has boris been reading cchat for light relief?

clid61

Veteran
no - it's not there for over 50s.
I can confess to being over 50.
As a bloke I am typically casual about these things but eventually got round to phoning my GP place yesterday.
But was told that unless I'm in a special group, no, it's not happening.
At least in the immediate future - was left with the idea that no time before the snowdrops appear.
So where does the 30 million figure come from? Which one were you ? 😁
Ooooh were you in the Specials?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I never.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55003389

from dec 1 it seems.

though god knows why this schedule wasn't announced before.

Going to be extremely tight I would have thought, particularly with the christmas break imminent and many folks hoping to get away.

I can see a lot theoretically available not being taken up because of simple logistics.

Which would give Boris's team a handy out.

Still one to be watched I think, especially in view of:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55008133

Curiously both of these stories seem to have been posted two hours ago (am an early riser).

An attempt to head off bad news?

Or has boris been reading cchat for light relief?
I'm far from a government apologist butf do feel the schedule has been known for sometime. I just have a feeling you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick. Perhaps not and I've misunderstood?

As per my earlier post my GP practice explained this to patients in early September. Anyone calling the surgery heard the pre-recorded message before being put through. I'm pretty sure this was also stated in the text message which went out to patients in September, I've deleted it so can't check this. I wasn't surprised by the messages so must have read of the plans in the media.

The key words in your links are "offered" and "available." The Nuffield Trust reported uptake by over 65s in 2019 was 70% - it was first offered to over 65s in 2000. The UK has been at +/- 70% since 2007.

I'm guessing now but imagine the 30 million offer was just that. What the uptake would be is speculative but I think it would be low.

The NHS announced the need for preparations on August 5th. See point 5.

NHS Letter

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
Blue Hills
I'm far from a government apologist butf do feel the schedule has been known for sometime. I just have a feeling you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick. Perhaps not and I've misunderstood?
well if it was known for some time Paul it wasn't well communicated to my gp practice and on to me.

It's less than two days since I phoned them (and being a bloke I had left it late) and there wasn't the slightest hint that this was coming in the real world. I was very much given the impression "forget about it".

am keen to get it sorted in case of future contact with elderly mum.

am still a bit doubtful of the reality of this on the ground - there have been all sorts of government announcements about world-beating stuff - see above.

re the NHS highlighting need, that's another matter.

am not dissing the NHS.

Nor, in case anyone should think it, am I trying to muscle in front of anyone else.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
well if it was known for some time Paul it wasn't well communicated to my gp practice and on to me.

It's less than two days since I phoned them (and being a bloke I had left it late) and there wasn't the slightest hint that this was coming in the real world. I was very much given the impression "forget about it".

am keen to get it sorted in case of future contact with elderly mum.

am still a bit doubtful of the reality of this on the ground - there have been all sorts of government announcements about world-beating stuff - see above.

re the NHS highlighting need, that's another matter.

am not dissing the NHS.

Nor, in case anyone should think it, am I trying to muscle in front of anyone else.
I'm not sure we're understanding each other on this one. Which really is making me laugh 😄

Fully understand your concerns re visiting your mum and I wouldn't consider you a queue jumper.

Hope you manage to get jabbed ASAP. 👍😊

PK99

Legendary Member
I thought the over 50s now get it too? 50+ make up between 35 & 40% of the ~67m UK population so that would be around 25-27m...add in everyone else who is eligible, 30 million won't be far out
There are plenty of people under 50 who are eligible for a free one too.
I'm under 50 (just), not eligible for a free one and would like to pay for one privately (not a problem) but not one pharmacy around here has any (left) :ph34r:
25.22 million over 50
https://www.statista.com/statistics/281174/uk-population-by-age/

Top Bottom