30 million flu jabs??

I swear I heard Boris claim some time ago that there would be 30 million NHS free flu jabs pumped into Brits this winter.
And that they were there for folks over 50.
On looking into this it seems that it's essentially for folks over 65 plus certain specified groups.
So how does this add up to 30 million?
We are well into winter, despite curiously mild weather down south.
Did I imagine this good news?
Can I not count?
Has the British population boomed more than I thought, thanks to our internationally renowned fecundity?
Are there more folks over 65 in the UK than I thought?
Or is Boris full of shoot?

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought the over 50s now get it too? 50+ make up between 35 & 40% of the ~67m UK population so that would be around 25-27m...add in everyone else who is eligible, 30 million won't be far out
There are plenty of people under 50 who are eligible for a free one too.
I'm under 50 (just), not eligible for a free one and would like to pay for one privately (not a problem) but not one pharmacy around here has any (left) :ph34r:

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The NHS did announce that.

Last I saw (and I'm trying not to watch the news) is that it's not been opened up for 50-64 year olds (just by age alone) yet. It will be. I'm quite glad to be out of the flu vaccine game.

It's a very sensible thing to do indeed, but a lot of the noises made by politicians are political and reassurance side of things.

OP
Blue Hills
I thought the over 50s now get it too?
There are plenty of people under 50 who are eligible for a free one too.
I'm under 50 (just), not eligible for a free one and would like to pay for one privately (not a problem) but not one pharmacy around here has any (left) :ph34r:
no - it's not there for over 50s.
I can confess to being over 50.
As a bloke I am typically casual about these things but eventually got round to phoning my GP place yesterday.
But was told that unless I'm in a special group, no, it's not happening.
At least in the immediate future - was left with the idea that no time before the snowdrops appear.
So where does the 30 million figure come from?

vickster

Legendary Member
What's not there? Probably waiting on more stocks? It's still only November, plenty of winter still to come

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

Advice for people aged 50 to 64

If you're aged 50 to 64 and have a health condition that means you're more at risk from flu, you should get your flu vaccine as soon as possible.

Other 50- to 64-year-olds will be contacted about a flu vaccine later.

Edited above - 50+ make up between 35 & 40% of the ~67m UK population so that would be around 25-27m...add in everyone else who is eligible, 30 million won't be far out

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So where does the 30 million figure come from?
From what was said on 24th July and 22nd October.

It's very common to get multiple tranches. The people that know what they are talking about and are in touch with suppliers normally get told days/week or two ahead (it also moves around). The surgery staff probably don't know that but will have talked to people who do. They probably don't want you to know. If you tell someone you might be getting flu vaccines in you get a lot of aggression and a lot of extra phone calls at a busy time of year.

As far as the NHS is concerned it's early days. Loads of people get flu jabs in December and the jabs have been given about a month early to some fairly high risk people already.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've been getting the flu jab for years, asthma!
I've had no ill effects, and more importantly no flu.
As an inert vaccine it can't 'give you flu' those that claim it did, either were incubating it pre-vaccination, or caught a cold. It can cause problems if you're allergic to eggs, as they are, or at least were, used in producing the vaccine. I had to sit in the surgery for 20 minutes after my first job in case I had an allergic reaction I didn't.
I don't expect any issue with the Covid19 vaccine, which ever they end up giving me, anyway the risk from any vaccine is sure to be way less than the risk to me of catching Covid19!

OP
Blue Hills
What's not there? Probably waiting on more stocks? It's still only November

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

Edited above - 50+ make up between 35 & 40% of the ~67m UK population so that would be around 25-27m...add in everyone else who is eligible, 30 million won't be far out
am impressed by your quick googling, but I have just said that the first bit of your sentence is not supported by the real world situation - ie it's not there for over 50s - so your 25 to 27 million figure is not there to be chucked into the 30 million total/equation.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I inquired when I was booked in for a blood test - nope, no flu jabs for over 50's - only vulnerable people. MrsF got one as she's down as her mum's carer (mum is not in a home) although she is also classed as my son's carer. I'm going to leave it as there doesn't seem to be much availability locally to pay for one, and given were at the end of November I'll leave it. Had I been in work (Uni) I'd be getting one. I tend to only get flu very occasionally, and it's usually linked to Students starting in Autumn.

vickster

Legendary Member
am impressed by your quick googling, but I have just said that the first bit of your sentence is not supported by the real world situation - ie it's not there for over 50s - so your 25 to 27 million figure is not there to be chucked into the 30 million total/equation.
I don't know what you mean by it's not there...where?
Do you specifically mean available for eligible adults at your local GP surgery?
My 51 year old friend who has a history of bronchitis got her free flu jab weeks ago at her N. London GP surgery, so it is 'there' (or was, maybe they've now finished)

You said 'it's essentially for folks over 65 plus certain specified groups' whatever that means - as it's clearly not the case

vickster

Legendary Member
I inquired when I was booked in for a blood test - nope, no flu jabs for over 50's - only vulnerable people. MrsF got one as she's down as her mum's carer (mum is not in a home) although she is also classed as my son's carer. I'm going to leave it as there doesn't seem to be much availability locally to pay for one, and given were at the end of November I'll leave it. Had I been in work (Uni) I'd be getting one. I tend to only get flu very occasionally, and it's usually linked to Students starting in Autumn.
Yes, that's what the NHS website says...50-64 if vulnerable and all over 65, plus other groups specified on the website

Who can have the flu vaccine?
The flu vaccine is given to people who:
  • are 65 and over (including those who'll be 65 by 31 March 2021)
  • have certain health conditions
  • are pregnant
  • are in a long-stay residential care
  • receive a carer's allowance, or are the main carer for an older or disabled person who may be at risk if you get sick
  • live with someone who's at high risk from coronavirus (on the NHS shielded patient list)
  • frontline health or social care workers
Advice for people aged 50 to 64
If you're aged 50 to 64 and have a health condition that means you're more at risk from flu, you should get your flu vaccine as soon as possible.
Other 50- to 64-year-olds will be contacted about a flu vaccine later.

December to March is recognised as UK influenza season...not student sniffles in Fresher's Week :okay:

OP
Blue Hills
My 51 year old friend who has a history of bronchitis got her free flu jab weeks ago at her N. London GP surgery, so it is 'there' (or was, maybe they've now finished)

You said 'it's essentially for folks over 65 plus certain specified groups' whatever that means - as it's clearly not the case
]
That's what I was told by the person who answered my GPs phone (after a long wait which it transpired was left ringing while they did admin).
I did tell them that I have a tendency to come winter get get hit by respiratory stuff which takes forever to shift, but that wasn't enough.
So I still wonder where the 30 million comes from, unless the Brits are more bouncing with health than I thought.
So I still wonder where the 30 million figure came from.
I stress that I generally think myself in decent health and have no ambitions to "queue jump"

vickster

Legendary Member
For me, 30m is an estimate of the number of over 50s in the UK plus the number of under 50s eligible for a reason other than age (lots of people in the health and care sectors for example, plus children, asthmatics, diabetics, other chronic illness, disability, pregnant women and so on)

Do you actually have a source for the 30 million?

Top Bottom